Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Learning Disabilities, or Learning Abled?

The more time I spend teaching my children, the more I've begun to notice things. I always had my suspicions, and I always do plenty of research before jumping to conclusions. I never diagnose my own kids either, and I always seek a medical opinion (or 5 lol). Even with the diagnosis' we have on our kids, I prefer to think of them as learning abled, rather than learning disabled. My children are just a different type of learners, and that's how I try my best to teach them.

I believe my soon to be 7 year old has dyslexia. Dyslexia runs in my husbands family, so I know that makes my sons chances of having it go higher. And I don't really understand the correlation, but there's a lot of left handed in his family also. But the red flag for me, is the difficulties my son has reading and writing. He has a hard time with the sounds letters make, differentiating between wh words (who, what, why, when, where), rhyming, memorization, and patterns.

I have a stack of papers on my desk about dyslexia, recommended reading books, and excerpts about disability laws. I'm going to be going through these papers and books, and trying to piece together the best way to teach my son. I have reached out and contacted a few people/organizations and am still deciding what to do with this. Testing for dyslexia is pretty costly around here, so I'm going to try to go through our school district. I know the district won't provide services though, so that's the part I'm trying to figure out. I'm off to read about Idea and section 504, and see what it means to us.

No comments: